This is How I see it. If You Like What You Read, Click An Ad And Help Me Out

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Pucks & Nets

Hello, again. It's been awhile. Wonder if anybody reads this. If you do, you're partly the reason I stopped writing it. I do this for me. I have to admit I liked the comments, but I hate writing, playing music, being funny or just plain talking when I'm concerned with other people. Happy you like it, but know I do it for me. Knowing that, pleased to have you here and I'm funnily surprised you stuck around. I'm in Kelowna British Columbia now and my mind is excited.

This bar I'm doing comedy in this weekend has a street hockey mini arena in the corner. It has a glossy floor, real boards, a full size net with a goalie cut-out and some sticks and balls. It's alot of fun to have both hockey and comedy in the same room. If heaven was real, it would contain both of these for me. It's a wondeful treat I didn't expect.

So, I've been shooting alot. When I go to eat. Before the show. I anxiously look at it during the show hoping it would end so I could shoot. Tonight, I played alone, happily, as the bar closed and enjoyed rock and roll, which is much to my liking as well and will surely be in heaven, too.

I found myself very short of breath as I ended up playing tonight. I was curious as to why. I do smoke, but I was in the gym today and I never got that panty. I figured out why. It triggered my competitve nature. ARRRRRRRR. I love to compete. If you are reading this, challenge me at anything. I may not win but I WILL freak out trying.

I also found myself realizing something. As I slapped shot, backhanded and snap-shotted away, I saw that once I learned how to accomplish scoring in one manner, I VERY quickly wanted to learn how to perfect ANOTHER way of scoring. Knowing how to score one way is good, but it also means you can learn to score in more than one way, and you should probably teach yourself and learn how to.

As I competed with myself to get better at solo-indoor-bar-hockey-shoot-past-the-cardboard-goalie, my pulse raised, and I saw something else. Something totally diffirent but so very much obvious. The net as a whole. It was at that point my mind, in it's complex simplicity, thought, "Just put it in the net". No other thought. No other grand design. At that point, I became a single minded indiviual with the sole and only purpose of putting the ball in the net. To say it was easy is to mis-characterize it. It was one thing: Me, the stick, the ball, the net and the distance between it. The ball simply went in the net again and again.

Funny enough, the moment I was aware of this, I stopped to score. The odd one went in, but that was a result of years of built-up practice and ability. It was not the thoughtless act of ball-in-net.

It paralells with my comedy so well, too. With my guitar. With my concerns and my stresses and my Love. The moment I forget to think about it is the moment I understand it, the moment I enjoy it and the truest moment of my being alive on this planet. Life is far from perfect and the knowledge of that is sometimes enough to keep it that way. When I forget about that stuff, when I see life as whole and me a part, I realize that, if I can simply put the puck in the net, I don't miss my shot.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Brett. I know you write it for you but I have a blast hearing about what is going on in your life. I have not seen you on stage in a long time and I hope that I can again soon. I know you are thinking to yourself, "who the hell is this?" That is understandable since I am just flicker of the past. We worked together a bit once upon a time and we share a birthday. You always were a great guy and I just wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas and a smashing New Year. I love reading of your travels so keep doing this for you.

12:33 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the correct spelling is cathartic,

12:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home